Sunday, October 19, 2008

short and not super sweet

so...the nike women's 1/2 marathon was today. It was ok. It was my slowest half ever in my 2 1/2 year history. And that is OK. I think at mile 8 of a race I realized that this is not gonna be me PR and I had two choices: take walk breaks or keep trudging along.

I don't do walk breaks.

Here are my race lessons:
1) Don't assume that just because you have ran a 1/2 in 2:02, you can do it again without training. 31 year old bodies don't quite work that way.

2) Though the race was enjoyable, it was a little too Corporate America for my taste. Though Tiffany finisher necklaces wrapped in blue boxes with white bows, jamba juice smoothies and nike schwag are nice---it is rather off putting in these strange economic times. When I run because I am going to get all this "stuff," it overrides the true reason I run: it makes my soul feel good.
Props to the race organizers because it was well organized and efficient. I am glad I did this race because it is another one to check off.

No comments: