Friday, July 8, 2011

"This (expletive) is Just Mean."

Oh, Splash and Dash...will you ever get easier?

Thursday was the summer's #2 Splash and Dash, and we actually had REAL summer weather this time. What a concept!

Some interesting stuff happened since the last Splash and Dash in June: I did a tri, we went on vacation, we got a kitten, hubby crashed his motorcycle and had shoulder and hand surgery. Training was going fairly well until that last thing happened. But, life happens and I am so thankful that is all he hurt. Of course, I can't get all indignant and tell him, "You sell that motorcycle NOW" because from time to time I do crazy things like long bike rides, wacky swims, or signing up for events where I don't train. So, yeah I can't get all high and mighty.

I was all set to get to the event on time as the parking can be a little funky. As I was walking to my car from work I got a call from hubby, "Kitten is sick, She has some eye thing. We gotta take her to the vet." Which translates to "you gotta take her to the vet" since he only has one working arm right now. So, I tried not to get annoyed (it has been one of those kinds of weeks where the stress seeps out of my pores) and called the vet to see if they could take me that night. Splash and Dash 2: Revenge of the Splash was looking like it wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, they couldn't take her until Friday morning. My tone with them got all mama bear (cat?) as I said, "But she's a KITTEN. Wil she be ok?" the receptionist said, "Well, is she lethargic?" I looked down at the latest scratches on my arm from when she pounced on me, "Um, no." "Loss of appetite?" Hah! She wolfs down her wet food like it's crack. "She should be fine." So, I got clearance to splash and dash!

My focus on this event was the swim. I just need to swim straigher. If I can do that,I think my times will improve. I really focused on my breathing, my stroke, trying to catch other people's drafts, and actually swimming towards the buoy. One of the buoy's was impossible to see as it was right in line with the sun. but, my swim was MUCH better than last. Almost 6 minutes faster to be precise! Though I must say, after the first lap I started panicking a little at the fact that in 3 months I would be doing a 3.6 mile swim. That seems, like, really hard.

The run...well, that wasn't so great. As I headed out on the trail, my calves started cramping big time from the swim. It felt like I had a tennis ball under my skin that was trying to burst out. I was doing ok until the first major hill, and then my energy depleted. My legs were not going as fast as I wanted.Ttowards the end there is a mother of a hill (just seems like a big wall to climb) and this guy passed me shouting, "This sh** is just mean." Amen brother. I did the run 3 minutes slower. Oh well. But, the mermaids were there again in full force, coach Heidi was announcing, and you just can't beat how awesome it is to hear them cheering me on at the finish line. And I am ready for victory at Splash and Dash 3: the Demonic Dash in a month.

That's it for now. Gotta lure a kitten into her carrier and take her to the vet now. Good times.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I hope all is well with the kitten!

You did great out there! 6 minutes is seriously a huge gain for 1500m!