Thursday, July 3, 2008

soundtracks, rantings on circle swims and mini to major freakouts

Underwater Mp3 players are the best. I finally tested mine out yesterday with a 1700 yard swim. I probably looked ridiculous because the headphones are oval shaped and rest from the cheekbones to the ears. That combined with goggles and my "Oh Snap!" swim cap (yes, that is what is written on it in swirly letters) makes me look like quite the rock star.

Speaking of rock stars, finding songs for swimming was quite the fun little challenge. I didn't want anything from my running Mp3, and you definitely can't sprint in the water like you can when you run (so no testosterone music AKA Beastie Boys, Suicidal Tendencies and Guns and Roses). So, my swimming mix consists of such greats as "Gone Daddy Gone" (Violent Femmes, not Gnarls B.), "Heaven is a Place on Earth" and "Beyond the Sea."

The sound is ok, considering you are underwater. The quality reminds me of my old aqua blue cassette boombox that I used to listen to my Huey Lewis and Whitney Houston tapes.

There is something surreal about being underwater with music. I feel like I am in my own movie.

I have not been able to , however, enjoy my Mp3 and fancy lap counter because for the past 3 weeks the dang pool in my complex is being repaired. I am going to various community pools in the area, but they are packed. Nothing is better than having my own lane, but on Wednesday I circle swam with 3 other people! Not a quality workout. I was so distracted about my pace that I couldn't keep track of time. ugh! That pool better be fixed soon or I will be one angry trijill.

I think the root of my short fuse anger is most likely my mini freak outs about the race. It is seriously 3 weeks from tomorrow. I am having a hard time envisioning what those 13 miles are going to feel like after I ride 56 miles. It feels like forever since I ran 13 miles---though it was only last May. What will the swim feel like? Why does my body feel so tight lately?

Reality is starting to hit me as far as what I signed up for and I am gonna be honest...

I am pretty scared.

No comments: