Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year's Suggestions




Last week one of my friends posted this article on New Year's Resolutions and said it reminded her of me. Sad but true. I make these grandiose declarations about training and goals and overall-awesomeness only to ignore it all and not do my (unrealistic?) training.

So instead of New Year's Resolutions , I will follow the author's lead and write suggestions.
But...first let me preface this by saying this year I signed up for a Big Deal event: The Death Ride. I think a lot of the people in my life may be a wee bit concerned because my previous history of untraining (probably not a word, but who cares) could be downright dangerous for this 120ish mile 15k climbing bike ride. (The elevation chart is posted above...eeek...)

Is it possible to break bad habits? There isn't a super magical formula for this ride---it's really RIDE A LOT. Like, a lot a lot. But I do think putting together New Year's suggestions (NOT resolutions) will help me wrap my head around this beast, a training plan, and how to have a normal life AND be ready for this event in July. Not all the suggestions are Death Ride specific, but they do fit in the bigger picture of why I do these events and my desire to be a stronger person ready to take on the world.

So, here goes:

1. I will work on not talking myself out of things (or into).
Do you ever notice how easy it is to say "no" to things? Like, when my alarm goes off there is a decision involved, "Wake up" or "Snooze." "Snooze" is basically saying no to getting up and getting that early workout in. I go to bed with these high expecations of, "Oh yeah, I totally will wake up tomorrow and run 10 miles before work and make my lunch and make the world a totally peaceful place." But I always end up hitting snooze. So, I will work on NOT snoozing.

Case in point: yesterday my husband suggested we go on a bike ride. I was all set to talk myself out of it. I rationalized that I was tired, I rode 42 miles Friday and had back to back running races on Saturday and Sunday. But then I remembered I really need saddle time. I have a month before my training really begins and the quicker I get used to sitting on a bike saddle on a regular basis, the better.

On the flipside, I will work on not saying "yes" to certain things (like that first, second or third slice of cake).

2. I will work on not going too far in the future
One of my big bad habits is in the middle of my training for an event my mind starts to wander and I start thinking about the next event. This is dangerous territory as it is key to stay focused and keep your eye on the prize. What does this mean? It means try not to think about what the next big thing after Death Ride.

3. I will try to drown out the negative voices---including my own.
The fact is, there will always be someone smarter, prettier, funnier and triathlonier (not a word, but who cares?) than me. Just as it is easy to say "no" to waking up, it's just as easy to hate on myself. I recognize I need to do some serious self-care and I haven't really been super nice to myself. There is a running joke between my friends and I that I don't like my picture taken. And it's sad but true. I haven't taken care of myself as I have in the past and do not want to see the ugly truth as shown on digital images (I am talking to YOU race day photos). But the truth is, does it really matter that I am not a size 2? That I may never break an hour 10k again? Maybe there are people out there who don't think I can pull off this Death Ride or (FILL IN THE BLANKS) thing---but does that really matter? I mean, that is their issue, and I should work on figuring out how not to make it my issue.

I was thinking about this whole "no pictures" thing the other day as I was playing with my 7-year-old niece. What if she heard my inner thoughts on my appearance? What kind of message is that sending her? It would break my heart if she thought about herself that way. Deep down I hope that she sees me doing these events and it makes her have faith in herself, not be afraid to take risks, and know that she is an awesome person. Inside and out.

So, that's it. My big list. Nothing earth shattering or super specific.
I decided to limit it to 3. Three is a magic number. Anything past that can get overwhelming and then it is much much easier to just say no to everything.

The fact of the matter is, it's going to be hard. Life is hard. But pushing through the challenges (the ones you take on and the ones that are thrown in your face) is really where all the self-growth stuff comes from.



So...let's do this 2012...

No comments: