Friday, January 6, 2012

Ch-Ch-Chia!

I did a wee bit of updating on my blog...most notably added all events I will be doing until the Death Ride. It was actually longer than what is posted there. I started getting a little panicky as I added the events and am a little iffy on the non cycling events. What the heck have I gotten myself into? I talked myself out of a couple events. Which, shows some level of growth and maturity on my part, right?

I found a training plan for the Death Ride that is 18 weeks long. As I was scanning it on my laptop I must have had a funny look because hubby said, "What's wrong?"

"Well," I said, "I am reading this training plan...and it just seems weird."
"Why?" He asked.
"Well, it's 18 weeks long. And it has a ride every day. Like, EVERY day."
"And?" He asked.
"Well, that's, like, a lot of riding, right?"
"Let me see that," he said as he grabbed the laptop.

I could feel my palms get all clammy and sweaty. Being on the bike? Every day? 18 weeks? The more I tried to wrap my mind around it the more I felt like my head was going to explode.

He handed me back the laptop, "Seems about right."

"What?! Every day seems crazy. What about rest days?"
"You do have rest days. Those are called 'easy rides'."
I gave him a "whatcha talkin about Willis?" face.
To which he responded, "YOU are the one who signed up for this crazy event."

I read the training plan a little more in depth. The rest days ranged from 0-20 miles, so theoretically I don't have to ride EVERY day. Phew. And the plan doesn't start until I get back from Maui in March. Phew. So I have about 2 months to get my act together.

And my current act? It ain't pretty.

The good news is--I have been on my bike. I did a 40 mile ride last week, and have done a couple short rides and some trainer sessions. I did the bike trainer last night for 50 minutes while watching season 1 of Alias. It. Was. Torture. I am going to trainer again tonight. But with a heart rate monitor so there is less cheating involved.

My running has slowed down a lot. I met some friends for a track workout on Tuesday night. It. Was. Torture. Everything felt tight and flabby---which seems like a contradiction. It was cold and dark and felt so against nature on what we are supposed to do in the winter. But I did it.

The plan until the plan starts is to increase my long bike rides each week by 5 miles. I will start this Sunday with 40. I also really really need to figure out this core thing. Oh, and use my bikram yoga groupon before it expires in March.

I tried this energy drink yesterday that I really like. It had chia seeds and cocounut water in it which are supposed to be great for something. Not sure what. Growing plant hair? Like a Chia pet? So, I think I mat buy the powder (it was a sample I got from a race) and try that on long rides since I am getting a little weirded out by the vibrant colors of gatorade. I think I am also going to look into making my own energy bars.

Hmmm...bikram yoga...chia seeds...homemade energy bars. Should I grow dreadlocks now too?

No comments: