Sunday, January 29, 2012

Are you happy now, Jennifer Hudson?

I am sick, sick, sick, sick. Isn't that just the Murphy's Law of event training? I had a good solid two weeks of working out, using my bike trainer, and even actually paying attention to my heart rate monitor and then last Wednesday morning I was all ACHOO! And I was down for the count.

But I won't whine. Feeling betterish now and, in reality, it is only 5 days of being out of the game. Death Ride is in 6 months. It's all good.

The bigger thing right now is this nutrition thing. I NEED to figure it out. Especially with these long rides that are coming up because I don't want to fall into old habits of having a crazy calorie laden meal and justifying it with a 4 hour bike ride. I flirted with the idea of going paleo, but I knew that realistically the militant rules of paleo would not work for me. A couple weeks ago I was flipping through my magazines and I kept seeing that darn Jennifer Hudson ad for Weight Watchers. After the third spotting of Jennifer in an US weekly, I took it as a sign. I had done WW before and it worked. It worked because I dedicated myself to it. And dedication and awareness to what I eat is definitely what I need to do NOW. Are you happy now, Jennifer Hudson?

So, last Monday I went to my first meeting. That scale...it was not good. The great thing about WW is there is no judgement. I was bracing myself for a "tsk tsk Jill, how did you let THAT happen?" Thankfully they didn't do that. The voices in my head did a little...but I tried to ignore them...

At the meeting the leader asked why I was joining again. I told her that I signed up for a crazy bike ride with crazy hills and I wanted less Jill going up the hills. I think that is my new mantra: LESS JILL UP THE HILL. I am actually pretty excited because the less extra weight I am carrying, the faster and more efficient I may be as a cyclist. This could be THE year where I have a cycling breakthrough.

It was bad timing that I got sick my first week of WW. I opted not to have my preferred snack choice when I am sick (sour patch kids) and dutifully stayed within my daily points range and tried to not be all Debbie Downer because I didn't have the energy to workout.

So, I am one week of doing WW. It's always mind blowing when you start tracking what you eat. I am sure there have been time where I ate all my points in one meal (or one trip to the movies!). It is also helpful that hubby has been watching what he eats as well. He is down 15 pounds because he got a head start on me (JERK! hee hee). It's pretty funny when fast food commercials come on because we both start yelling at the TV ("Curse you McDonald's! Nobody Should be eating that! Nobody!"). Seriously, have you SEEN that Sonic commercial? There is one item that is a bowl of tater tots covered in chili and cheese. SERIOUSLY?

Fortunately there aren't any Sonic's near me...

2 comments:

Molly said...

I think Less Jill Up The Hill is hilarious :-) But really it WILL help you with those hills!!! Feel better soon.

Jill said...

YAY! A COMMENT! WHOO HOO PARTY TIME! I haven't had a comment in awhile so wasn't sure if the blog was gathering dust in cyberspace. 2.2 pounds down so far in operation less jill up the hill. Thanks Molly...also, what distance are you doing for metro tri?