Thursday, February 2, 2012

WHOA NELLY!

Um, did my 2012 events just, like, double in size in the blink of an eye?

Um, am I addicted to Active.com?

Um, have I not learned ANYTHING from the past three years?

The answer to these questions is yes, yes, no.

While I did register for quite a few events, these events are ALL training related for Death Ride. Century rides are great for my training because I get the mileage and elevation (for the most part) and they are supported so I can refuel at rest stops.

The triathlon in June? What can I say, old habits die hard.

So the training...it's going. Right now it is all about getting back in the saddle. Hubby bought this way futuristic computer bike trainer thingy (don't you just love how techy I sound). I finally tried it last Sunday. It is crazy. The trainer is connected to a computer and you can download routes from the computer and from rides you did outside with your GPS. The first time I watched Hubby do it he downloaded a route from a ride in Italy. Not only did it mimic the ascent and descent of the ride, the screen (we have it hooked up to our TV) shows a simulation of the route so you are riding with cars and going past the ocean. I was yelling at him, "Watch out for that pedestrian! Don't go over that cliff!"

Anyways, for my first ride I did a 12 mile route from a ride my husband did in the real outdoors: from our house to Mt. Eden. It was pretty cool because the screen showed where you were riding in Google maps. It was pretty close to the route except I think the GPS got confused at intersections because the trainer went on a major incline at some intersections. Like, 10%! I got a lit bored looking at the google maps, so switched over to The Devil Wears Prada. The downside to that is the hills are a bit of a surprise.

I tried to do it again today on my lunchtime ride, and forgot all the instructions hubby gave me. The trainer is a Dutch product and is not super user friendly (especially for a non-techy like me!). Finally I gave up and just got on and did my usual interval workout. (side note: hubby just came home and I told him my issues. He said, "Maybe because you were using the keyboard that controls TIVO. Not the keyboard hooked up to the computer hooked up to the trainer." Seriously? Two keyboards? I think he makes things super technical and difficult to mess with my head. Can't there just be ONE button that works WHEN I want it?)

I am also trying to figure out how to mix in swimming and running with all this biking because I think the cross training will be good for my sanity and overall fitness. Which means it is good timing because Team Mermaid is starting its season on Tuesday. I am pretty excited because I am ready for Coach Heidi to be the boss of me and help me on my way to fitness breakthroughs.

Operation Less Jill Up the Hill is going pretty well. I am down two pounds my first week and --more importantly--am really diligent about writing down food consumed. Hubby and I are still on our angry rant about fast food commercials. There was a commercial for Carls Jr's "healthy" turkey burger. Hubby asked me how many points are in that so I looked it up---it would be almost half my points for a day! WHOA NELLY! That is so "healthy" Carl's jr.

The one thing that is a challenge is work. Our volunteers are ALWAYS baking in the house (which is super awesome for the clients we serve), but on the days when I have my laptop set up in the dining room it can be super tough with the smells of brownies wafting in. Here is a conversation I had with one of my volunteers this week:
Volunteer: I am making my Dangerous Dessert?
Me: Dangerous Dessert?
Volunteer: Yup. Its an apple spice cake. And then I poked holes in it. And then I poured caramel sauce over it.
Me: WHOA
Volunteer: and once the caramel sauce soaked into the cake I frosted it with cream cheese frosting.
me: WHOA
Volunteer: and then I topped it with pecans.
Me: WHOA NELLY!

Fortunately, I have had the willpower to be dessert free at work for the past two weeks. Which is pretty amazing considering we have things like Dangerous Desserts lying around.

1 comment:

Molly said...

You can call me next time there is a Dangerous Dessert around and I"ll take care of it for you. I"m a giver like that :)