Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"A" is for Attitude

I posted this on my Facebook last week:

"There is one thing in life you have absolute control over: Your attitude." Joyce Schafer

And I am making it my official mantra.

And you know what I have discovered about attitudes? Having a bad attitude is kind of like taking the easy way out. It's super easy to be bummed about work, family, personal goals, weight, appearance. I have found when I have a bad attitude I am almost giving myself permission to give up. I can have a bad attitude about not ever being a size 2, and then give myself permission to eat a (box) cookie.

Having a good attitude does take work. Like right now I am looking outside waiting for the rain. If it rains, that means I can't workout with my team. In the past I would get frustrated because I want to know what I will be doing workout wise. Now, I have a plan B. I will hop on the bike trainer. I will work out. It will happen.

Or how about not being able to work out for two weeks because of the stitches? So, I gained 3/4 of a pound. Eh, life happens. And sure enough I was back to running last week and lost that 3/4. Sure it wasn't an epic big loser loss, but I still feel GOOD.

So, it's really about reframing things. And let me tell you---it feels fantastic! It feels authentic. I feel like I am consistently in a good mood. The past year has had some ups and downs in hubby's and my life, and these are things we cannot control. And having this good attitude has made me really appreciate him and our relationship. Because the truth is, sh** happens. Not everyone is going to like me or be happy with me, or agree with my decisions. Not every race will be an A race. There will be disappointment. I can't control this. I CAN control my attitude.

I hope this hasn't made you yack on your laptop. I am hardly a saint and a bad attitude pops up every (day) once in awhile when some idiot driver does something idiotic. Or someone is crowding me in line at Whole Foods. Or when bachelor ben chose Courtney.

So, I am prepping myself for Cinderella bike ride this weekend. Sure I haven't ridden much in the past 3 weeks. Sure it may be storm-ageddon. But, as Seattle to Portland has taught me, I CAN suffer on a bike. Plus, I have a bunch of friends doing the ride AND I think pink bike will get TONS of props on the ride.

No comments: