Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crunch Time!

I am in serious withdrawal. I vowed to myself that after the Mermaid Triathlon on June 15th I would NOT sign up for any more races until after Barb’s. I am jonesing right now to put on a bib and timing chip and go!

Luckily the Mermaid went well considering I was at the race at 5 am to volunteer, forgot my goggles AND my hat. I was 3 seconds away from finishing in the top 10 in my age group. 3 seconds!

I am starting to stress about the big race big time. Usually my stress dreams involve me finding out I need to go back to high school to take a class or seeing the school bus coming and not being able to get dressed. Last week I had a dream that I was trying to get to a race, but every 7-11 I went to was out of Gatorade and I arrived at the start as the last wave was getting in the water. Ugh.

I have a little over a month to go and my coach is ramping up my training hardcore. She sent me my calendar for the last two weeks in June and I started laughing when I read it. Seriously, this must be a joke. Then I remembered that I signed up for a half-ironman and training for it won’t magically happen with a little fairy dust.

In order to track my progress, I decided to start a training journal for this crazy workout regime.

Here it is so far:

6/18 Swim 2300 yards in morning; Run 44 minutes; speed work:

Swam at De Anza before work Went ok.

Ran at Rancho San Antonio after work. Was nice to be back on this trail. Hot as heck though. Legs still recovering from two weekends in a row of racing. Hard to sprint. Almost got stung by a bee when I took a drink from water fountain. Glad I put Journey on my Mp3.

6/19 Bike 1 hour 45 minutes moderate pace

Started at Lake Almaden Park after a meeting in South San Jose at 5. Annoyed at little kids in bathroom because I needed to change and they were hogging restroom doing who knows what. Super hot ride. Road down Almaden to Uvas road (25 miles round trip). Tooshie was tired on bike seat. Need more time on bike.

6/20 Morning: Swam 2500 yards; woke up at 6 to swim in my complex’s lap pool; super awesome to be only one in pool. Got bored and had a hard time counting 90+ laps. Ordered underwater Mp3 and lap counter from Amazon.

Evening: Ran 55 minutes with 6 1 minute sprints; hot, hotter mchottie! I was melting and thirsty. Note to self: running on El Camino sucks rocks.

6/21 Bike 3 hours 15 minutes; moderate pace. Drove down to Morgan Hill at 7:30. Biked Uvas to Hellyer to Santa Teresa. Bored by Santa Teresa’s flatness and wind. Decided to take Willow Springs road for kicks and giggles. Oops…pretty steep. Survived the hill and road past mansion where Junior prom was held. Felt pretty smug about being in better shape at 31 then at 17. Rode through downtown Morgan hill past high school to Cochrane and back to my car. 42 miles. Tooshie still hurts.

6/22 (Oh my gosh! Does this ever end?)

Swim 2600 yards (104 freakin’ laps); ran 1 hour 45 minutes immediately after swim. Swim was boring---Mp3 player please come soon! Legs felt wobbly after swimming. Almost got ran over by minivan who ran a stoplight. Swore a little. Ok…a lot. Worked at a health fair until 1:30. Played softball from 3:30-5:30. Had lots of energy from morning workout. Didn’t suck as much as I usually do at softball. Even caught a ball and went home twice!

6/23 Rest Day. Thank goodness. Baked 8 dozen cookies and a ladybug shaped cake for my Barb’s Race Fundraising. Wondered if 4 hours of baking counts as cross-training.

6/24 Biked an hour and a half with ( 7 )3 minute sprints. Chain fell off going up Mt. Eden. Luckily did not bite it. Finally felt strong on bike and tooshie did not hurt. Whoo hoo!

The rest of this week will be more of the same, finishing with riding the actual 56 mile bike course for Barb's as a training ride. Hope my tooshie can handle it.



No comments: