Monday, June 30, 2008

Reality

Yesterday I rode the Barb's Race course. Well, I rode the course plus an extra 15 miles because it doesn't start in the same place. So, yesterday I rode more than I ever have in my life: 71 miles. My bootie is somewhere in Healdsburg right now.

The ride wasn't too bad. Rollers and a nice hill at mile 46 to keep you "honest in your training" (quoted from the Vineman website). It was nice to see the course and know where the heck Guerneville is and now I can visualize race day. Visualizing that 13 mile run after 56 miles on the bike is still quite difficult.

One thing I am noticing is that some people have strong opinions on cyclists. These opinions aren't very favorable. On my long 71 mile (c'mon---I have to mention this HUGE accomplishment one more time, right?). I realized the struggle cyclists face when they ride. People are honking, annoyed and agitated at a procession of two-wheeled athletes sharing the road with them. I made the mistake of stopping outside Guerneville to ask a tasting room owner if I could use his restroom. He spent a good 10 minutes lecturing me on how he doesn't like non-customers to use his restroom, my shoes will ruin the floor, cyclists will find out his place is a rest stop and BOOM! his company is destroyed (wow! I sure have a lot of power!). Then he openly admitted that he is bitter about cyclists and was sued by one because his tractor hit a woman on her bike. Because my bladder was ready to burst, I didn't have time to think quickly, but maybe I should have suggested that he started riding so he can acquire some chip-on-shoulder-reducing endorphins.

As I type this, I must say, I am getting worked up as well. I guess I was naive and idealistic thinking the world would embrace me being active and doing my part to break the stereotype of "lazy Americans." This is not the case. There is a whole subset of people who see me on the road and it creates rage in them. They feel I shouldn't be there on THEIR roads.

whew...ok...let me find my center and not focus on the anger. I guess I am frustrated because I don't know how to fix this broken relationship between drivers and cyclist. Yeah, some cyclists are jerks just as some drivers are idiots.

But serioursly folks--this division needs to stop.
We need to figure out a way to co-exist safely and free of bitterness.
Any idea?

1 comment:

Mike Deitchman said...

I think maybe you should tell us which winery this was so that we can avoid his product... =)