Sunday, January 11, 2009

Change of Plans

So, my whole plan of starting a 5 week half marathon training program was not the smartest idea. I did manage to run 8 miles last Sunday---which felt good---but running 5 miles on Tuesday and Thursday did not seem feasible. Here is my new plan:

I downloaded Ryan Hall's 10 week half-marathon training plan from Runnersworld.com. The plan outlines each day what you are supposed to do and there seems to be a lot of variety to hold my interest. I decided to scratch the Kaiser half-marathon because driving all the way to the city just to turn back after did not seem appealing. My goal is to beat last year's time for the Mermaid Half-Marathon. This year's race is on March 22nd which is a good amount of time for me to get back into shape in a smart way.

I also would like to improve my 10k time on the way and am planning on doing the 10k race in Campbell on Valentines Day. I have done that race before and know the trail very well.

Other plans:
1) Use my 24 Hour Fitness Membership: I will try to make more of an effort to do yoga, pilates, and spinning on my cross-training days

2) Cycle on the weekend day that I don't have a long run. I cycled with some Mermaid friends yesterday and it was a gorgeous day. I really want to get stronger on the bike and need to get more time in the saddle this winter. Plus, I think it may be time for aerobars ---those kind of scare me.

3) Core training: I will do more core work and also arm work as I tend to neglect those parts in my training.

4) I will also check out an intro to masters swimming class at one of the community centers in February. Our pool will be heated in March, so this may be a good jump start to getting back into the water.

5) I still want to learn to surf. Don't know when that will happen though.

No comments: