Monday, January 12, 2009

Stuff I Dig (AKA : so this is where my money went)

Last summer Runner's World featured a whole spread on running skirts. They had various reviews, a bio of the founder of SkirtSports, and articles from runners who were for or against running skirts. There were actually a few letters from readers in the issues following the spread either ranting or raving on running skirts. Some argued that running isn't about looking pretty, and if you wear a skirt you aren't taken seriously. Some swore by running skirts being super comfy and flattering.

And what are my thoughts on running skirts?

Um...I just did a tally in my head and I own 7.

I guess I am pro skirt.

I know---7! I am a little embarrassed at this number. But in truth, they aren't all running skirts. One is for triathlons and another is for cycling. I just got running skirt number 7 from Athleta.com (if you haven't visited their site, go now! They have cute, cute, cute clothes!). This skirt is different from the others because instead of little shorties underneath, it has capris, so it is perfect for colder weather. My favorite running skirts are actually made by Target---crazy, huh? I love them as they are comfortable (not too snug and not too loose), the shorts don't ride up, there is a pocket for key/cash/id, and they are cheap (I don't think I paid more than 20 bucks for either of them).

I love running skirts because there is something playful about running in a skirt. It reminds me of recess and wearing shorts under my dresses so I could play on the jungle gym. There is also a lot more freedom of movement with the skirts.

Plus, I am totally a girly-girl when it comes to workout stuff. Some girls dream about taffeta layers on wedding dresses and strappy manolos. Me? I love flowery cycling jerseys and the color pink. I am a little obsessed with pink---but more as an accent color. I have pink handlebars, a pink ankle road id, pink yoga headband and mat, and (new!) white and pink Asics Gt-2130s!

Why do I love the girly stuff? I think it is partially because some of the stuff associated with triathlons can get rather grueling and pink is a reminder too not take things too seriously and just have fun.

No comments: