Saturday, January 24, 2009

Out of My Comfort Zone

Yesterday I had to decide between running a 10 mile race in San Juan Bautista or joining some friends for a casual run in Aptos. Here was my thought process in choosing:
1) I was pretty antsy to run my first race of 2009
2) It would be nice to see Coach Heidi at the trail run
3) Can you really say "no" to a 10 am race start time
4) Going over highway 17 in this weather was not appealing
5) Neither was forking over 25 bucks for a race entry fee

In end I chose the trail run because of the money and it would be easier than 10 miles.

I thought wrong.

Right before I left for my run I went to the garage to put my shoes on. I didn't see my trail running shoes and had a slight feeling that I probably should wear them (the facebook event invite was titled "muddy trails await" but the shoes were all the way upstairs which seemed to far. Only now do I see the irony of being too lazy to get my shoes upstairs before I go on a run.

So, I put on my lovely new pink asics and headed off. I didn't have breakfast, so I stopped by McDonald's for a small coffee and egg mcmuffin sans Canadian bacon (I know! I know! I think it is time for a nutrition blog entry) and headed for Aptos.

We met at a place where you can access a trail at Nicsene Marks. I hugged Coach Heidi as I was excited to see her and we were off. Once we hit the trail i thought to myself, "Holy crap Jill. What did you get yourself into?"

It was straight downhill and super muddy. It was my--a super klutz with balance issues--worst nightmare. I took a deep breath and concentrated on every step of my run. We were running for about 3 minutes when we hit a creek that we had to run across. I followed my friend Gina's lead and bounced across rocks in the creek, trying to make it seem like I knew what I was doing. I pretended I was an REI model and my trek was all part of a photo shoot to sell trail running skirts. Except I don't think America's Next Trail Runner Model would step right into the deep part of the creek soaking her new shoes.

So, running through muddy trails is probably one of the most challenging things I have done. Usually running is a time for me to shut my brain off and listen to some awesomely crappy songs in the privacy of my mp3. But with trail running, you have to concentrate on everything. The trail, your stride, other runners, critters--everything! I haven't concentrated this hard since beating Ganon in the Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. I was definitely out of my comfort zone.

I was wheezing and sliding and after 50 minutes we turned around. Then the inevitable happened: I bit it. I wasn't careful in a step and then woosh---I was sliding down a ravine. Luckily the mud was pretty thick and my sliding was slow so I was able to stretch my arm far enough to reach coach Heidi's husband hand. But as I tried to step up it got super slippy. It all happened in slow motion and part of me felt like I should just keep sliding. But then I looked down thought two things: "hmmm, that is kinda far down. Not quite sure how I would get back up." And: "Dude, didn't this happen to Kate on Lost when they were running in the jungle away from an Arctic bear or smoke monster thingy?"

Luckily the guys pulled me up and I thanked them profusely. We continued my run and I realized that I was super muddy--and it was kind of a cool feeling. I still can't believe people do crazy 50 mile trail runs.

After the run, I went to my car and drove home. On the drive I though about how important it is for me to get out of my comfort zone in my training. It is challenging and it increases my skills as well as boosts my confidence in myself as an athlete---something I have been lacking in the last couple of months.

I think training season has officially begun.

No comments: