Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mini Victories

RESULTS!
IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION!
NOW!
GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Sometimes I get stuck in this mindset: I decide to do something, and I want it happen ASAP. Be it signing up for a 1/2 marathon and hoping for a sub 2 hour time, or wanting to lose X amount of pounds. There is a lot of time, hardwork and dedication involves in those things, but I want it NOW.

Which is not the best way to look at the world, right?

I signed up for this Death Ride thing knowing that I need to put the time in and there will be a lot of steps to get to the point of doing this event in 6 months. Time on bike. Core. Cross training. Rest days. Hill repeats. Balancing the rest of my life and sanity.

So, I am really focusing on the RIGHT NOW and the mini victories.

Saturday was DEFINITELY a mini victory kind of day. A couple friends and I planned a bike ride in Pleasanton. My friend Gina sent us the route the day before, and I (of course) kind of glazed over it. We started our ride at 7:20ish am. The route caught part of the Cinderella ride I will be doing in March. Gina said there would be a couple climbs--most significantly a 7% grade. We hit the first hill and that felt great. Then we hit a stop sign and Gina said we were to go right. Then it dawned on me.
"Are we doing the Challenge hill?"
Gina said, "I think so."

Hmmm...the "challenge" hill is an option for the cinderella ride if you want to add mileage and hills. I did the Challenge two years ago. It was HARD. I signed up for the Challenge this year and was already having anxiety about climbing it at the end of March. And now, we are doing it today? Whoa.

So, I did it...and I think it felt better than 2 years ago! And it's early February! Mini victory----time on the bike trainer, having quality workouts is actually working! Who woulda thunk it?

Another mini victory? Having breakfast after this 50 mile bike ride and not eating my weight in pancakes,eggs, toast, hashbrowns....fill in the carb here. Sometimes I get in the mindset of "Well, I deserve this big old plate of food because I ran/biked/swam/took out the garbage."

Another mini victory? Weigh in was last night. Down 2.6 pounds...Less Jill Up the Hill is on track.

The last mini victory is I finally used my bikram groupon yesterday! Mystery of bikram is dispelled. Not sure it is for me---I kinda prefer the more warm fuzzy gentle yoga and all the sweat in the room was kinda gross.

But I didn't feel like I got hit by a truck this morning, which is ALWAYS a mini victory.

No comments: